Office of the Returning Officer
Notice is hereby given to the Electors of the Cree Nation of Waskaganish that an election has been called on Tuesday, July 13, 2021 for the following Council Member positions:
• Deputy Chief;
• Four (4) Councillors.
The Deputy Chief and four (4) Councillors are elected by and from among the members of the Cree Nation of Waskaganish for a term of four (4) years. The present notice is in accordance with “LAW No. 230 respecting the Cree Nation of Waskaganish Elections”.
THE NOMINATIONS FOR SUCH POSITIONS WILL BE OPEN ON Tuesday, June 22, 2021 at 9:00 a.m. AND WILL CLOSE ON Monday, June 28 at 9:00 p.m.
- Only persons who meet the candidate qualifications and who are nominated by ten (10) eligible voters on the applicable nomination form may be candidates for Deputy Chief or Councillor;
- An elector cannot submit nomination of a candidate for more than one office;
- An elector cannot sign the nomination form of more than one candidate for the same elected office.
Completed nomination forms must be submitted to the Returning Officer in person, OR by mail, by fax at 819-673-2323 or by email before June 28 at 9:00 p.m. Any nomination received after this deadline will NOT be accepted. The original copy of any nomination form submitted must be returned to the Returning Officer or the Corporate Secretary by Friday, July 2, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.
The nomination forms will be available at the Band office of the Cree Nation of Waskaganish and can also be obtained from the Returning Officer or Assistant Local Returning Officer appointed by him. The nomination form may also be downloaded from the website of the Cree Nation of Waskaganish at: www.waskaganish.ca
Deadline for Nominated Candidates
A nominated candidate must confirm in writing to the Returning Officer that he/she accepts the nomination by Thursday, July 1, 2020 at 11:59 p.m., failing which his/her name will be removed from the final list of candidates.
Qualifications to Vote
The qualifications to vote in the election of the Cree Nation of Waskaganish are as follows:
- To be a member of the Cree Nation of Waskaganish who is in possession of a valid community beneficiary number and who is eighteen (18) years of age or over and not declared mentally incapable under the laws of the Province of Quebec;
- To be a member of the Cree Nation Government (enrolled or entitled to be enrolled as a Cree beneficiary of the James Bay and Northern Quebec Agreement) and in accordance with Section 18 of the “LAW No. 230 respecting the Cree Nation of Waskaganish Elections” concerning the electoral list that will be applied on the date of the election, as provided by Cree Nation Government.
Qualifications to be a Candidate
- To be of the age of majority and a member of the Cree Nation Government (enrolled or entitled to be enrolled as a Cree beneficiary of the James Bay and Northern Quebec Agreement);
- Not to be affected by any legal incapacity and in accordance with section 9 of the of the “LAW No. 230 respecting the Cree Nation of Waskaganish Elections”.
VOTING STATION: GATHERING PLACE
VOTING BY TELEPHONE: In order to ensure that the election poll is carried out safely in view of the on-going public health emergency, the Returning Officer may authorize certain voters to participate in the poll by telephone where he deems it appropriate, such as:
- For eligible voters located in “COVID-19 Areas of Risk” determined by the Cree authorities, and;
- For eligible voters who are in self-isolation in accordance with the “local mandatory self-isolation Law”.
The poll by TELEPHONE will be held on the same day as the Advance Poll (Tuesday, July 6, 2021 from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.)
ADVANCE POLL: Tuesday, July 6, 2021 from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
An advance poll shall be held for those electors who are unable to vote in person at the principal poll (election day) because of physical disability, illness, work or family responsibilities, or absence from the community.
TRAVELLING POLL: Wednesday, July 7, 2021 from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
A travelling poll will take place for the elders who reside in the community or community members who reside within the category 1 lands of the Waskaganish territory and are unable to vote on the election day due to physical disability or other limitations.
MAIN ELECTION POLL: Tuesday, July 13, 2021 from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
NOTICE GIVEN ON THIS 7th DAY OF JUNE, 2021 BY ORDER OF THE RETURNING OFFICER.
John Henry Wapachee - Returning Officer for Cree Nation of Waskaganish